DallasCowboysCommunity
Join Community

Jul 29, 2026, 2:24 PM CUT

Jerry Jones is willing to bet Cowboys' future over current roster: Report

Jerry Jones. Image Credits: Matthew Pearce/Imago

After missing the playoffs for two consecutive seasons, the Dallas Cowboys owner believes the Cowboys' Super Bowl window is open this season. His latest comments at the training camp have offered another glimpse into how far he is willing to go to capitalize on it.

During the press conference of the training camp, which began on July 28 in Oxnard, California, Jones revealed that he is willing to part ways with the team’s future assets if making a veteran addition to the current roster could lead the Cowboys to a Super Bowl title. 

“Jerry Jones said he would be willing to “give up the future,” to add a big-time player to the roster because of how good he feels about this team at the moment,” ESPN's Todd Archer’s X post read. “Said he had a conversation with an owner as recent as Monday.”

According to Todd Archer’s X post, Jones said that he recently had a conversation with another team’s owner regarding a potential trade just the day before leaving for training camp.

After a disappointing 7-9-1 2025 campaign and a defense that allowed 30.1 points per game (ranking 30th in total defense in the league) last year, the Cowboys were busy during the offseason rebuilding their defense.

In response, they fired Matt Eberflus after just one year in charge of the defense, and hired Philadelphia Eagles defensive backs coach Christian Parker as their defensive coordinator.

The franchise has also made significant additions to the roster through free agency and the draft.

The Cowboys used five of seven draft picks on defensive players, where they selected safety Caleb Downs and pass rusher Malachi Lawrence in the first round of the 2026 NFL draft. 

The team added veteran pass rusher Rashan Gary, cornerback Cobie Durant, linebacker Dee Winters and safety Jalen Thompson to boost the strength of the secondary.

"It's not a threat," Jones said during the training camp press conference, per Patrick Walker of DallasCowboys.com on July 28. "It's just that I will s****...My message simply is that I feel good enough about this thing to give up some of the future, if the opportunity comes up."

Though the revamped defense received a vote of confidence from many analysts like ESPN’s Adam Schefter and Louis Riddick, the Cowboys still lack depth at the linebacker, cornerback and pass rusher positions.

While the Cowboys have already invested heavily in rebuilding their defense, Jones appeared prepared to be even more aggressive if another difference-making veteran becomes available via trade.

Jerry Jones makes honest admission about Cowboys’ "quiet offseason"

Though Jones welcomes the idea of having a "quiet offseason," he explained that the organization spent months handling challenging roster moves away from the public eye.

"I like the idea that the word is that we have had a quiet offseason, relative to dare I say off the field noise or chatter," Jones said, per Tommy Yarrish of DallasCowboys.com on July 28. "We've had a lot going on. We've had to really scramble a lot, the kind of stuff that you don't see. But that should be that way; it's supposed to be hard…"

The Cowboys had a quiet offseason for the 2026 season, compared to previous years, which were dominated by headlines surrounding the players' contracts or hold-out situations.

Jones said the Cowboys ultimately accomplished more than he anticipated during the offseason, adding that he welcomed the perception of a quiet, drama-free offseason as the team prepares for the 2026 season.

Do you believe the Cowboys have done enough this offseason, or should Jerry Jones make one more big move? Let us know in the comments.

Read more at Dallas Cowboys Community.

Written by

Archana Ramakrishnan

Edited by

Aadesh Dhote